Once it gets warmer outside, it’s the beginning of the grill season. That means it’s time to call your friends and family, invite them over and celebrate with some tasty shashlik meal!
If you don’t know what shashlik is, then I’m here to change your world and give you something new to try out. Traditional shashlik is usually made with cubes of marinated pork or chicken meat, often with some bits of vegetables of your choice. Shashlik is also grilled over hot charcoal. That is why it is perfect for bbq parties outdoors.
Here are some amazing recipes you definitely have to try!
Tasty pork shashlik recipes
Pork shashlik is a classic that tastes good and everybody loves it. It is a standard choice for bbq parties, picnics and any other outdoor activity in the fresh air. The main thing to perfect is a great pork shashlik marinade, and I will definitely help you with that.
Traditional pork marinade
Here’s a traditional pork shashlik marinade. I am certain you have all of the needed ingredients already at home. This recipe is perfect for almost any occasion shashlik could be needed for.
- 1kg of pork;
- 800g onions;
- 1 lemon;
- 2 tsp. salt;
- 2 tsp. ground pepper;
- 3 tbsp. k. sugar;
- 50 g of olive oil;
- 70 g table vinegar 9%;
- 70 g of water.
- Separate the meat from the tendons and cut into approximately 4 × 4 cm pieces.
- Peel the onions and cut into medium-fine rings.
- Then mix the onions with the meat and mix thoroughly until the meat and onions become juicy.
- Cut the lemon into fine slices and stir in the meat.
- Vinegar, oil and water are mixed together in a sealable container (can be in a jar with a screw cap), mixed and added to the meat.
- Then add salt, pepper and sugar. Sugar is added as a flavor regulator so that the marinade is not too sour, but sweet. Massage the sauce into the meat.
- Then place it all on a dish, heavily compress it and leave for about 4 hours to allow the meat to absorb the marinade.
- Then your meat is ready for grilling. You can add a slice of lemon, onions or vegetables on a spit.
This is a perfect recipe for those who love a bit of spice to their foods. The chili peppers in this recipe will make sure you have a spicy yet delicious shashlik.
- 2kg pork;
- 3 onions;
- 1 lemon;
- 3 chili peppers;
- 1 tbsp. olive oil;
- 1 tbsp. salt;
- At first you have to peel the onions – it is never too much of those. Grate the onions to better stir in the marinade.
- Finely chop the chili pepper. If you want to achieve a really spicy taste, then you can add one and a half pepper for every kilogram of meat.
- Then add a tablespoon (without a pile) of salt and a pinch of sugar, olive oil and lemon juice to the chili peppers, respectively.
- First, mix the onions with spices until the juice begins to release and the salt acts directly on the onions first, not directly on the meat.
- When the onions are thoroughly kneaded, only then we mix it with the meat. Mix everything and refrigerate for 24 hours to allow the marinade to linger.
- Shashlik is ready to be grilled!
Marinade with brandy
This shashlik marinade is a delicate and restaurant-worthy delicacy for especially picky eaters. The meat will be very juicy with a crunchy outside and a mouth-melting inside.
- 1 kg of beef;
- 100g good quality brandy (cognac);
- Salt, ground pepper, allspice;
- Seasoning mixture for shashlik;
- Bay leaves.
- Cut the beef into medium pieces, the size according to the intended method of roasting (skewers or grills).
- Put layers of meat in the prepared dish, rubbed with spices, then a layer of onions with a couple of bay leaves.
- The resulting dish of meat is poured over with quality alcohol, according to the calculation of 1 kg of meat – 100 g of drink, which can also be less (~ 50g). Brandy is used instead of vinegar.
- For best results, marinating takes about 2-3 days. The meat is juicy and with a perfect taste.
Chicken shashlik recipes
Chicken shashlik goes better with mild marinades and is also a classic choice for outdoor get together. I have compiled 3 delicious and simple chicken shashlik marinade recipes.
Chicken shashlik in curry and mayonnaise
If you want to make shashlik from chicken, then one of the classic marinades is curry and mayonnaise chicken marinade. It is tender and really tasty.
- 2 kg chicken fillets;
- 2 large onions;
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar;
- 1 lemon;
- 150 g of mayonnaise;
- 1-2 tablespoons curry;
- Spices to taste;
- Cut onions into circles or semicircles, rub with sugar and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the lemon juice, add it to the meat along with garlic, spices, curry, salt and mayonnaise.
- Mix everything. The sauce should be spicy so that nothing is missing. Add the chicken already cut into the required pieces.
- Place the weight on top and leave to marinate for a few hours, as time allows.
Classic chicken shashlik in vinegar marinade
Golden, juicy and aromatic pieces of shashlik with a pleasantly sour vinegar aftertaste are a real childhood summer classic for me. It is definitely worth enjoying every barbecue season. So here’s a recipe for you to try.
- 2.5 kg chicken ham;
- 5 onions;
- 0.5 l of water;
- 0.5l 9% vinegar;
- 3 tbsp. salt;
- 3 tbsp. sugar;
- 1 tbsp. curry powder;
- 4 bay leaves;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 8 black pepper;
- 1 lemon;
- Buy boned chicken hams.
- Separate excess – cut off fat from the edges, as well as large skin that hangs along the edges.
- Cut the meat into pieces of such a size that they can be grasped in the palm of your hand (2 to 3 pieces come from one ham).
- Peel the onions, cut into slices.
- Place the meat and onions in a bowl in layers – meat, onions, meat and then the onions again until all the ingredients are gone.
- Prepare the marinade. Mix all the ingredients until the salt and sugar are dissolved. Add sliced lemon.
- Pour the meat with the marinade and marinate for at least a couple of hours.
- Grill the shashlik!
Quick mustard and honey marinade for chicken shashlik
The best memories of summer holidays in nature are always associated with food. First of all, everything tastes better in nature. Secondly, the quality of the meat is important. The mild marinade of mustard and honey guarantees a juicy and delicious shashlik to enjoy with family and friends.
- Chicken meat;
- French mustard;
- Greens of your choice – dill, parsley, kinza;
- Garlic cloves;
- Salt and pepper;
- Olive oil for frying.
- Mix the mustard and honey in a ratio of 1: 1, add a little oil and mix together until the mayonnaise is consistent. It is important to add good quality, frying olive oil that will prevent the shashlik from burning.
- Then add finely chopped greens, garlic, pepper and salt.
- Mix everything, then “massage” the meat thoroughly and with love.
- Grill, bake in the oven or on the pan until the meat is ready.
That’s it for now. I’m sure you have enough shashlik marinades to try out for now! Enjoy and I hope you will end up loving shashlik as much as I do!
For more ideas use this article Šašlika marināde – receptes tavai gaumei. It’s easy to translate and the recipes are truly amazing!